Thursday, October 29, 2015

Spooky Shows for Stylish Folks

I love Halloween

And, because I love it so much, I wanted to pull together some of the movies and T.V. shows that I find inspiring for Halloween.

None of these are horror, though. I love horror films - terribly unladylike of me, I know - but they are rarely something I watch on Halloween unless I find a particularly interesting one on T.V. Instead, I tend to watch media that's aimed at children, but with a spooky bent, and this list reflects that. So, if you're looking for some aesthetic inspiration for your autumn looks, curl up with a mug of spiced cider or hot chocolate and enjoy.


Over the Garden Wall

This miniseries is a newer find of mine, and it's full of style, cuteness, and a big ol' dash of creepiness. There's an old-fashioned look to it that I find very satisfying and inspiring, especially if you're into a very Victorian-inspired style or mori girl. The  muted color palette reminds me of vintage cartoons, and each episode's length makes it easy to watch if you're on a tight schedule.

https://beesbohemianblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/hocus-pocus-movie-poster-1619.jpg

Hocus Pocus

Say it with me now, in your best Bette Midler impression: "I put a spell on you, and now... you're mine."

This movie is eternal, I swear. It's one of the Halloween movies for me. Was the early 90s a great time for fashion? NO. But was it a great time for watching three ladies ham it up. This movie has Doug Jones, big musical numbers, talking cats, and a story that's both kid friendly and appropriately frightening.

And, thankfully, their witchy costumes are delightfully lush. They gave each of the witches a different personality and look. I mean, look at this:






This movie is fabulous and fun from top to bottom.




The Addams Family

The look of this movie will probably be most inspiring if you're on the goth end of things, with its many hues and textures of black, black and white stripes, and general spookiness. I'd say you could easily watch the old TV show, read the comics, or watch either of the movies to get your fix.

If you're a fan of the gothic tropes of decadent aristocrats in a crumbling house, this is a fun way to address those tropes.

http://s27.postimg.org/5xlx9j1ib/e33e1dbfef474ebfab931279abc53c0b72309a12_jpg_c_2.jpg

Edward Scissorhands

This is the most candy-colored Halloween movie I could think of. With 90s suburbia as a backdrop, this movie is like exploring the world outside the Addams house in the Addams Family world.

But it still speaks heavily to the outsider in all of us. Ever felt different, like you didn't belong (and, really, which of us who is into alternative fashion hasn't)? This is a movie for you. Equal parts Gorey-ish and suburbia-sweet, you should definitely watch it if you haven't yet.

Do you have any Halloween traditions for movie or TV watching? I'd love to hear about them.

4 comments:

  1. We talked in September in another blog entry of your blog about christmas cookies and chocolate. I offered to send some to you, but you have not answered yet. Could you please read my comment at http://bookish-beauty.blogspot.de/2015/09/things-i-love-for-autumn.html and let me know if you are still interested or not? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still interested! I'm sorry I haven't responded; I had some personal issues come up and have been mostly off the grid.

      I think the best plan is for you to just send me 2 or so servings of your favorites. I'm really up for trying anything.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for not coming back to you earlier!
      At some point, I stopped checking your blog daily for an answer...

      I would send you two different kinds of Christmas chocolate, ginger stars and two Christmas cookies, if you agree ^_^

      Please contact me over facebook or livejournal to exchange my paypal email adress and your postal address. My firstname on facebook is Rommily as well, and I use there the same profile picture as on my livejournal blog http://rommily.livejournal.com

      Delete
  2. You have shared a very interesting collection of movies and series for halloween. I have watched some of these which are not spooky but are funny and exciting.

    ReplyDelete