Saturday, May 12, 2012

Product Review: Modcloth.com

So, I finally bit the bullet. I bought from Modcloth.

I've been ogling their stuff for several years, but, as they only introduced plus sized items around 2009 and their selection in that area has taken a little while to build up, I haven't ordered from them yet. But I love their vintage-y style, and I finally ordered a skirt a little while ago. What I brought was their From Me Tutu You skirt, which came in today. I can honestly say that I plan to buy it in another color if it comes back into stock in my size.

Here's what I saw on the site:


It's lacy, it's frothy, it's fluffy (but not so fluffy that I'd look like a cupcake without a petticoat). It's a peachy pink with an elastic waist and sheer over-layers. It's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for in a skirt. Plus, it would double as an underskirt for my favorite black and peachy pink Lolita skirt (Bodyline L353). It's another one of the items in my closet that summons a response of "everything matches!" from my well-trained cousins.

So, this is what I got:



Seriously, look at that tag. Isn't it precious?

So, for the basic rundown...
Brand: DownEast Basics, purchased from Modcloth.
Type: High Waist Skirt with Elastic Waistband
Print: Solid Color
Shipping: 8/ 10
Fit: 9/10
Length: 10/10
Quality: 6/10
Overall Score: 8.25/10
My skirt arrived a day later than expected. Not bad (and not Modcloth's fault, of course), but not perfect.

As for fit, they're right to say that you should go a size down on the skirt. It does run a bit large.The elastic makes for a great, slightly-snug-but-not-over-tight fit. I'm normally an XL (size 14), and the large (size 12) fits me perfectly.

Length? Well, if you're like me, this will be perfect. I like my skirts to hit either just above or below my knees, which means they need to be around 25" long at the longest. This is lovely. It's long enough that it will show as an accent underskirt beneath my Lolita skirts that hit just above the knee, but it's not so long that it doesn't fall at mid-calf.

And quality? Well, I like it. Lace skirts can be a bit dodgy, but this one is pretty good. The edges, unhemmed, are a bit fringe-y in places due to the openwork nature of the lower lace layer. The top layer doesn't have the same problem. The elastic is stretchy enough. The fabric is... a bit see-through and flimsy. Wear a slip if you get this.

Altogether, it's a nice skirt. The price is a bit higher than I usually pay for such things, but it's cheap by Modcloth standards. I'm definitely tempted to buy the green version at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment