Monday, November 17, 2014

Outfit of the Day: Ravenclaw Pride for a Book Tour


I’m going to preface this because I know the mere act of supporting an artist can be controversial. A lot of people really loathe Amanda Palmer, and that’s fine. You are more than entitled to do so. But that is not the point of this post.

Okay. Are we good?

Good.

This weekend I was up in the Twin Cities for an adventure with several friends. Friday night I went shopping and played card games with one of my best guy friends. Saturday I went out to lunch with him, then headed over to another friend’s house where I baked muffins, ate gyros, and swapped media files. Sunday my friends and I decorated cookies and watched silly web videos. It was a delight.

However, the actual reason for the trip was Sunday night when I went to Amanda Palmer’s The Art of Asking book tour stop at The Cedar in Minneapolis.

The last time I went to an Amanda Palmer event, I ended up being photographed for CityPages to illustrate what their coverage of the event referred to as “A sartorial split between Brechtian cabaret-chic and all-black ensembles.” I’m not sure which end of the spectrum I was on, but being asked for a picture was one of those moments that incite introvert panic for me. Last night, thankfully, the most attention I got was from a girl in the merch line who thought I was adorable.

The evening was enjoyable. I loved being there with my friend Lauren, who I haven’t seen in almost two years (far too long) and I loved chatting with people while in line to get my book signed.



For my outfit, I wanted to keep things fairly simple. After all, I had to shove the whole thing under a wool coat, needed to take up only my chair’s width, and would be home very late and thus would not have time or energy to undo an elaborate outfit. Not the time to wear several petticoats and a ton of jewelry.


This was the first time I was able to wear this JSK that I purchased a good long time ago (I mentioned it in this post way back when) because I’ve been having a hard time finding a blouse that worked well with it and simultaneously fit me and my style. And boy, does this blouse ever work. I’m so pleased. It's very much Ravenclaw-inspired, which I thought was perfect for a book tour stop.




Outfit rundown:
JSK: Megan Maude
Blouse: offbrand
Tights: Wal Mart
Shoes: London Underground
Hair Flowers: Handmade, Claire’s
As an added bonus, here are a couple of pictures of the sweet treats my friends and I made: decorated sugar cookies and green tea muffins (here served with raspberry sherbet to make it extra tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment