Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sweet Treats from Rommily

This post has been so long in coming, but I would rather get it out late than not at all. Reader Rommily was kind enough to act as a sort of shopping service for me, purchasing some German sweets for me to try. It arrived late in December, just in time for a very difficult sick day and snowstorm combo to hit. They really made my day!

The box itself was simple, but I wanted to show off this little detail because it's adorable and reminds me of Miyazaki movies.



On to what was in the box! Rommily included a note, which was also something I loved. I've mentioned before how much I adore handwritten notes, and this was really no exception.



She very carefully wrapped the sweets inside, so while the box was dented they were totally intact.

 

Aren't they pretty? I honestly spent a little time just looking at the sweets she sent.



I've had something like these before, but the equivalents you can get stateside are made with a very different cookie/cake as the base. These had much more texture to them, and I quite enjoyed them.


These little darlings were as cute as they were tasty.



Cinnamon stars! These are pretty simple, a cinnamon-y cookie with plain white icing. They were quite tasty, and they were something I'm pretty sure I could replicate in my own baking.




This was a delightfully dark chocolate. I'm a fan of strong flavors in my sweets, so the dark chocolate was an addition I really appreciated.

And last, but certainly not least, Weihnachtsschokolade. This was the treat that got this whole thing started, and I was so excited to try it.



And what did I think of it? It was wonderful. The cardamom was spicy without being too spicy. I think the best descriptor that can be used is "warm." It tasted warm.

I think my favorites were the Weihnachtsschokolade and the cinnamon stars, but I really enjoyed everything in the box. Seriously, giant thanks to Rommily for sending me these. Not only did I really appreciate the offer to pick up some sweets for me, but the package arrived in a difficult time for me and made my entire week.

3 comments:

  1. It makes me happy to hear that the German sweets helped you during a difficult time!

    The tape on the outside of the box is from the Ghibli museum, I bought it in Kyoto.
    It shows the cat Gigi from "Kikis little delivery service".
    So your impression towards "Miyazaki movies" was completely right! ;)

    If you are interested, I could send you another selection of "Weihachtsschokolade" this year ^_^
    There are several chocolates available especially around Christmas, but not all tastes are Christmas-y.
    You can see the assortment of Lindt chocolates at http://www.lindt.de/produkte/tafeln/
    Christmas items start popping up in the supermarkets around September / October, so feel free to contact me then over Facebook ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      I most certainly am interested. Thank you so much for the offer.

      Delete
  2. The sweets and Chocolates are looking very yum and delicious in the pictures. Its always good to receive sweets from your loved ones with the beautiful card or letter.

    ReplyDelete