Thursday, June 9, 2016

Fashion Stretch I: Pretty in Pastel

I jokingly say that my brain is made of cabbage roses, but that type of classic print really is an important element of my fashion sense. However, I think it's important for me to get out of my comfort zone once in a while. So, as I'm trying to get myself back into the swing of both blogging and fashion, I'm going to stretch my fashion muscles a little. This first fashion stetch is revisiting an old experiment: blending my friend Kristine's taste with fairy kei.

Kristine loves 1980s kids properties and comfortable clothing. She's also a plus sized girl and has a more apple-shaped body type than mine. Pairing those two things together is a great way to challenge myself with a style that isn't my usual cup of tea and a shape that isn't meant to fit my body. Kristine also has a standard repertoire of sneakers, jeans, and t-shirts, so anything I did had to be able to mix and match within that existing wardrobe.

Overall, my priorities were:
  • Comfort first and foremost
  • Plus size availability
  • Media Kristine enjoys
  • Showing a little leg (she has lovely legs)

Pastel for Kristine I

I started with less of a stretch: ruffly socks, skirts, and mint green. It's not much of a stretch, but it's definitely not an outfit I'd pick out for myself.

Pastel for Kristine II

More mint green, but paired with one of my least-frequently used colors: pink. I added in a little magical girl inspiration because, hey, why not? I also used pastel jeggings because K has great legs for them and I think they'd be a great, comfortable option.

Pastel for Kristine III

This one's probably my favorite outfit, if just because it would be easy to DIY many of the elements. The t-shirt is adorable as all get out, the shoes are a great summer option, and who doesn't love watermelon?

Pastel for Kristine IV

More magical girls! This one was entirely based off decorated shoes, because they're another fun DIY project.

Pastel for Kristine V

Gimme a little bit of pegasus! Winged accessories are another departure from my usual style, but I think they're absolutely adorable here.

Pastel for Kristine VI

K really loves Care Bears, so I pulled together this outfit to celebrate that enjoyment. This is probably the least likely to be worn by K, though, because she's not so fond of tutus.

Pastel for Kristine VII

And the award for second favorite outfit goes to this beautiful, doughnut-filled beastie. It's so much sweeter than I would ever wear myself, but I think it's adorable and really references Sailor Moon in a way that's quirky, cute, and comfortable.

Pastels for Kristine VIII

And one last one: pastels for a fighting princess. I combined schoolgirl-y influence with some fun details - rhinestone studded jelly shoes and the star earrings. I might even wear this one.

Do you ever do stretches like this one? I like to do them periodically to get my fashion muscles loosened up and my brain looking at garments in new ways.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh such an adorable color selection i liked it very much,. thanks alot for sharing the post all the articles you have mentioned in here are amazing and i loved them all.

    ReplyDelete