Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Outfit of the Day: One for the Office, Two for the Show...

It was quite a weekend! Usually I am able to dress up about once a week in frillier fashion because I do try to dress like a normal human being for the office. However, this past week I was able to dress up twice!

Friday


This was a little.. different as an outfit. I dressed up for two different reason. First, I had a large number of deadlines that needed to be met on Friday, so I wanted to dress for battle. Second, I wanted to dress nicely for a play I was attending that evening.


Because it was for the office, I had to tone it down a fair bit. I used an underskirt for volume and kept things simple - I didn't even wear anything on my head! I also kept the blouse pretty casual. It's black chiffon, sleeveless, and has a faux leather with lace-like cutouts.I got a surprising number of compliments on this one, several from coworkers that I've never talked to before.


I stopped by one of my favorite shops in the mall (they carry phrenology busts!) and the manager ended up gushing. A few descriptions she offered were "springtime goth" and "an alternative Alice", and she and I ended up chatting for a while with the other employees. They're lovely people and it was a blast.


Then, of course, was the play. It was a stage adaptation of Ovid's Metamorphoses at a local college. The play actually guided the pieces that I chose for this outfit a fair bit. Because of the number of plant-based transformations, I wanted to wear something floral.

In addition to that, I chose my belt because it has a butterfly on it. The belt also served the purpose of mostly concealing the fact that I need to take my black skirt in again; it has started slipping off my waist again.


Outfit rundown:
Skirt: Fan Plus Friend (Secondhand)
Underskirt (Not visible): Fan Plus Friend (Secondhand)
Blouse: Gordmans
Belt: Bodyline
Tights: Vintage 
Shoes: WalMart
Sunday

On Sunday, I tried out another outfit that's a little more traditionally Lolita for church and hanging out with my boyfriend.


This JSK is an interesting one for me. This is my first outfit using it and I have mixed feelings. It's another one that can't handle a lot of bustiness and requires me to layer up some sports bras to put it on, but otherwise it fits perfectly. I also don't like the waist ties, but since the back has no details I am unsure about removing them. Despite these complaints, I really do love it. The ruffles, gathers, and lace are lovely but it doesn't feel loud to me.

The hem of the underskirt isn't actually uneven, as a note. The front of the skirt had just gotten pulled down by my knees when I set up the camera.


It's been too long since I put things on my head! I really do love the lace headband and multiple hair clips pairing. It keeps my hair in place and allows me to pull together the colors in a really nice way.


 A quick close up of the brooch. It was a little smooshed when I took this picture, but you get the idea. I made this a few years back, and it's felt-backed to keep everything together.

This also gives you a glimpse the detail stitching on the blouse front. This blouse is one of my absolute favorites. It's well-worn, so the cotton is nearly sheer and very soft. It's not shabby-looking, though. It's just light and gauzy, and the lace and pin tucks put it over the top.



And the shoes and the tights. The tights aren't as layered looking as I would like, but they are black lace over flesh-tone, both from Wal Mart. The shoes are my old standby items, a pair of nonskid shoes from Payless that are my ideal Mary Jane shape and comfortable to boot! I wish they came in more colors than just black.

Outfit rundown:
Dress: Bodyline
Underskirt: Partners Please (Secondhand)
Petticoat: Classical Puppets
Blouse: Secondhand
Lace Headband: Claire's
Black Hair Clip: Claire's
Burgundy Hair Clip: Handmade
Brooch: Handmade
Tights: Wal Mart
Shoes: Payless

2 comments:

  1. Those are both gorgeous outfits! I love the second one, it has a very Classic meets Gothic vibe to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      No matter what I do, my outfits seem to end up being "Classic meets..". It's like my brain comes pre-programmed for accessorizing with cabbage roses.

      Delete