Monday, January 6, 2014

The Lolita Questionnaire: Part I



There have been a lot of Lolita confession blogs over the years, but one of my favorites has definitely been Tell The Tea on Tumblr. A while back, they created their Lolita questionnaire that contains some interesting questions. So, in lieu of a regular post this week (while I work on a new theme for the blog!), I’m going to be posting twenty answers a day from their survey.

Let’s get started, shall we?

1. First things first: Your Screen-name and/or Lolita Alias and it’s meaning?
I don’t really do “alias.” I’m Emily whether I’m in frills or not. My blog title is “bookish beauty” because I like books, I am bookish, I like fashion, and I like where fashion and literature collide.

2. What made you fall in love with Lolita?
Historical inspiration and full skirts! When I was younger, I developed this intense love of historical costuming and I never really lost that. Lolita offered me a perfect way to create something wearable out of that knowledge.

3. Which Lolita motif do you subscribe to? (Gothic, Classic, Sweet, etc.)
Lots of classic and gothic with a touch of sweet. No matter what I wear, though, it ends up getting pulled inexorably toward the classic end of its spectrum.

4. How do you feel about Lolitas with piercings/tattoos?
Love it. Each person is an individual, and I love the girls who rock piercings and tattoos. That said, the thought of doing either to myself sends me into the fetal position because I am terrified of needles.

5. Which Brands and/or Off-Brands do you live for?
I covet Megan Maude and Blasphemina’s Closet like nobody’s business, and I would really love to get a piece by Leif. I love the pieces I’ve purchased from Eat Me, Ink Me. I love me some Metamorphose Temps de Fille. And, if I could fit into it, I’d be a Mary Magdalene and Juliette et Justine fiend.

6. How many Lolita friends do you have?
IRL, none right now. There are a few girls who live in the area, but I haven’t met them yet.
Online, I’ve got a few. *waves* Hello!

7. Are you actively involved in your local community?
Not at the moment.

8. Do you own or read any Lolita magazines?
I’ve got two issues of Otome No Sewing Book, and I read a few zines

9. Do you wear bloomers?
Yes and no. I often wear a split slip because I haven’t made/found bloomers that are long enough and comfortable.

10. What Headdress do you tend to favor? (bonnets, ribbons, hairbows, hats, etc.)
ALL OF THE THINGS CLIPPED TO MY HEAD. For serious, I’ve got a blog post that I’m working on about the ridiculousness of my barrette collection. I’d wear more hats, but they’re hard to find in my size, so I take the idea of a fully festooned Victorian hat and just sort of remove the hat part.

11. Do you store your Lolita clothes in a special place?
Nope. The skirts are in the same section of closet, but since I use Lolita pieces in non-lolita outfits sometimes, it all gets mixed together.

12. How would you describe your music taste?
I like music. I take a little bit of everything, depending on my mood, but my favorite music tends to fuse early 1900s music, folk music, or symphonic music with other genres. For some reason, this often ends up with large, Viking-like men shredding guitars. Recently, I’ve been listening to a lot of a Russian band called Arkona. Tomorrow it might be showtunes. Who knows.

13. Do you tend to wear Lolita for special occasions or casually?
Both. I wear Lolita most weeks to church, to most special occasions, and sometimes just because.

14. Favorite color(s)?
Currently, I’m lusting after that deep red-purple plum color. My favorite color really changes with the wind.

15. What are your hobbies?
All the things! I sew stuffed animals and clothing. I cross stitch. I design and create my own hair accessories and jewelry. I cook. I like playing with the family dog. I love bicycling. I read a lot on a variety of different subjects

16. Is there anything you are careful of in Lolita?
Dirt and red food are dangerous when I’m wearing white or ivory. Otherwise, I’m no more careful with my Lolita than I am in the rest of my dressier clothing.

17. How often do you find yourself in Lolita? (daily, weekly, monthly, sporadically, yearly)
At least once a week. I’m working up courage to wear my Lolita pieces at my new job, but I used to wear it almost every day of the week when I was at my last job.

18. What would you say is your Ghost of Lolita past? (Most embarrassing Lolita moments)
The time I said something was “too gothic Lolita” for my taste. I had a bad brush with an ita (sweet girl; not such nice clothing) and it tainted my view of the fashion for years. Other than that, every mistake has been educational for me, and I am embarrassed of none of them.

19. What is your current hairstyle and color?
My hair is currently my natural blondish, brownish, reddish color. It’s bobbed and wedged in the back, and it’s grown out to about chin length now.

20. Do you tend to wear wigs when you are in Lolita, or do you go ‘all-natural’?
All natural, if just because I haven’t found a wig yet that called to me and would fit. I’d love to wear wigs on occasion, but my head is big.

No comments:

Post a Comment